Sunday, March 29, 2015

Bug Fun!

So I read this great blog post (somewhere) about having an indoor bug hunt on a rainy day.

Lo and behold, we recently had a few of those.

So instead of sending our little darlings to the playground as we had hoped on Tuesday, we had to come up with a fun-ish activity to do at the last minute.  Because it had started raining.

Ewwwww.

Anyway.....

Luckily, I'd had enough forethought to put together this great bug hunt (which I really wish I could attribute to someone but I can't remember where I saw it).  We learned about colors this week, so it worked out perfectly.

Here's how we did our indoor Bug Hunt.


First, we laminated several colors of construction paper.  We matched them to the colors of bugs we had, which turned out to be orange, yellow, red, purple, green, and blue.

Second, I found the bag of bugs, paired it with the paper, and placed it aside.

Next, I waited patiently for an unexpected rainy day.

Fast forward a few days.

Then, I grabbed the construction paper and the colorful bugs.  I lined up the construction paper on the circle rug.  I explained the rules to the kiddos:


1. I'm going to hide my bug-friends around our room. (No peeking!)

2. When I say, "GO!" you will WALK to search the classroom for bugs.


3. Once you find a bug, pick it up and return to the circle rug.

4.  Remember to WALK.

5. Place the bug onto the paper that matches in color.



6. WALK back to the classroom to search for another bug and repeat.



7. WALK.

8. You should only touch one bug at a time.

9. Remember to WALK.

10. When all the bugs have been found, I will call time, and you will WALK back to the circle rug.


11. Did I mention that you should WALK?


The kiddos loved it.  Plus, it was super easy to prepare, takes as little or as much time as you need it to, and it can be played again and again.  AND, if it's NOT raining, you could even do it OUTSIDE (gasp!).


Also, this activity can easily be adjusted for any type of colored items you have available: bears, blocks, trucks, whatever!


It was sooooo easy, and I'll bet you could do it, too!  Tell me what you think of our Bug Hunt, or create one of your own, and share in the comments section!



As always, happy teaching!

Miss Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment